FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an independent travel agent?
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:39 am
tatterdema

Programs: HH Silver
100% what bear said. Add to that, I don't think you are ever going to make a commission on hotel bookings unless you have an IATA number, which is almost impossible to get these days unless you work for a large agency.

Lazy people looking for a deal is exactly why I do not book travel for friends and family anymore. The few times that I DO book for them, I do it because I enjoy it, not because I am looking for a freebie or to make money.

If you are set on making money, one way would be to insist on being paid by cash or check, and using your own credit card to acquire points. There are also lots of travel agent classes still at community colleges, but imho, they are simply money making schemes, and just give you information you can learn on your own if you have the time and drive to do it.

Also, I don't know of any hotel chain that are going to give just any travel agent 50% off, unless they are a proven agent that is going to drive A LOT of business. More typical is 10-20% off, and non commissionable, so they are getting a discount instead of a commission.