FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an independent travel agent?
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:26 pm
pricesquire
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
I would say that is exactly the wrong attitude to bring to any service profession -- e.g. "I'm in it to aggrandize myself." If you can't work first and foremost in the best interests of your clients, you (A) shouldn't get into the game and (B) will be exposed pretty quickly if you do.

Virtuoso is NOT. Virtuoso is a boutique high-end provider / concierge that creates specialized itineraries. That's like saying Tesla is "the big automaker in the US." It sounds as if you ought to do some basic primary research and find out about Liberty Travel, Carlson Wagonlit, American Express, H.I.S., Uniglobe, Colpitts, USTravel, AAA, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Here's a list of the top agencies by 2013 sales:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...13-Power-List/

Virtuoso's not even on the list.

You might also like to get hold of ASTA, the American Society of Travel Agents, what's left of them:

http://www.asta.org/

Don't do it. If all you know about the profession is that you're pretty good at Kayaking and perhaps you could get paid for it, and take free cruises too, you are not a candidate. As I'm sure you know the travel agent profession has been decimated by Internet-enabled small-d democratization of information and technology. The few that are left in business are (A) extremely knowledgeable about destinations, travel logistics, local hassles, etc. and (B) extremely selfless when it comes to taking care of their clients -- answering their phone at 400am because somebody is having a visa problem in Bangalore. You have to commit yourself to acquiring and using a level of knowledge not available on the Internet.

Back in the 1980s and earlier, there were an awful lot of independent TAs who chose their profession because of all the free stuff they expected to score in the margins. You know what they're doing today? Something else. Which is fine with me. Before the Internet took over I grew weary of explaining to bubblehead TAs that LHR and LGW are not the same airport, or that 727s don't fly TATL and airlines often assign one flight number to two discrete sectors/aircraft, etc. It didn't take much time and study for me to know more about everyday travel than most of the people who were booking for me.

A great TA today is an invaluable resource, mostly for scoring cruise discounts, finding private guides in remote areas, fixing snafus while a trip is in progress, etc. But if I discover that a TA is more interested in her perks than my problems -- game over.
Either I wasn't clear enough in my question, or you misunderstood what I was asking.

I am NOT looking for personal perks. This isn't about me getting free X Y or Z. I'm wondering more: since I'm sending 2 people TATL biz class, staying in expensive places, how do I get them perks that aren't published. If all I'm doing is acting as their booking agent, using the exact methods they could be using if they weren't lazy, then there's no point.

As stated above, it's not about aggrandizing myself. It's about using access to give my "clients" a better trip. And yes, I expect to make some money in the process. If I'm booking someone on a $30,000 trip, and they got the whole thing for $450 in taxes/fees, then yes, I expect to charge them for that service (giving them advice Re: credit cards, conceptualizing a trip, booking a trip, sending them off).

If another client is paying cash, and they are using me to do all the leg-work, yes, I expect to make a nominal fee. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I mention Virtuoso because, on FT specifically, I've been contacted numerous times by PM Re: booking a rate with perks (i.e., "hey, I can book the same rate you're looking at this SPG property, plus free breakfast and a massage"). I also mention Virtuoso because the travel agencies I've seen in my area are associated with them, and because I've heard (anecdotal, I know) extremely good feedback.

Lastly, Virtuoso is exactly what I'm doing: high-end, boutique style itineraries. Again, all I asked was: how do I get more for my clients (booking codes? special 800 numbers? websites? licensing?)

I asked what someones thoughts were on the above, and you said "don't do it"...why wouldn't I try to get more perks for a client? That's not aggrandizing, at all. That's doing exactly what a "good TA" (by your own definition) does!

What I'm looking to do is exactly what you describe: (A) extremely knowledgeable about destinations, travel logistics, local hassles, etc. and (B) extremely selfless when it comes to taking care of their clients.

Just last week I booked 2 people on a multi-city trip in China, procured them Visas, booked the whole thing, hooked them up with a reputable guide in both cities (both of which I've had person contact w/ in China), and got them at the Park Hyatt in Beijing and the IC HKG. Again, I ask, is this not dealing w/ destinations, travel logistics, and procuring a boutique/high-end itinerary and service?

Basically, I'm trying to navigate how to go about it.