FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passenger rights when missed airline flight was due to immigration processing.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:27 pm
jmastron

Originally Posted by wharvey
Again, why would you hold AA responsible for your hotel? In no way, were they responsible for your missing your flight (unless something is missing from your story).

In fact, unless I am mistaken, they did not have to even provide you with the free flight the next day (assuming you were on a non-refundable ticket). Their doing that most likely saved you more than a hotel night would cost you.

And, what rate did they provide that you did not consider a discount?
Well, I can agree that AA may not be responsible for hotel etc costs in this situation, I vehemently disagree that they "they did not have to even provide you with the free flight the next day". This was a single ticket on AA. AA determines the minimum connecting time, AA coordinates its flight schedules with CBP to some degree for staffing purposes, AA is responsible for the connection (if not the exact flight time). They absolutely are responsible for rebooking the passenger "for free" just as they would if there were weather or other delays that aren't considered their fault.