FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Squares, a Big Bird, Hello Kitty and a Real Bed on a plane? (NH, LH, OZ, SQ, TG F)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:25 am
tng11

"You speak very good English!" (A one-day walk around Osaka)

My first stop in Osaka was Osaka Castle. It was an interesting piece of architecture, traditional, yet modern. While I fumbled around trying to figuring how to get inside, I managed to miss the opening hours. As consolation, I enjoyed some Okonomiyaki from the vendors outside.

(Note: the following 9 pictures were taken using a Canon 5D Mark II)

Some kind of falcon I saw outside:

Wandering around aimlessly:

I walked over to Osaka Station and decided to soak in the bustling nature of June area. Hankyu Department Store was absolutely crowded, and there were so many yummy looking treats and pastries for sale all around. Downstairs, there was some really good looking produce and sashimi. I bought a 2,000 yen box of O-Toro and it was absolutely sublime.

I killed the next few hours walking around the department stores, drooling over all the food that was for sale. Too bad I wasn't really hungry.

I headed over to the Takashimaya Department Store as well. It was outside where I was accosted by a group of Americans asking me to go see their Christmas show the next day. I struck up a conversation with them, and at the end they all somewhat condescendingly complimented me for "my almost native English skills." When I told them I was actually a tourist from Canada, they seemed at least a little embarrassed.

At the Tenjinbashi-suji shopping street area, I was met with hustle and bustle that I would have expected in Tokyo, but not Osaka. I would spend another few hours wandering the main shopping street and side streets - noting that the girls of the night were coming out at 8pm or so.

I stopped for some Ramen - which was absolutely delicious. I'm a huge ramen fan, and this one had perfectly Al dente noodles, with a thick, rich and smoky pork broth. The chashu was also well marbled.

I returned to my guesthouse and knocked out for the night, after walking for about 10 hours straight. There didn't seem to be much in terms of tourist sights in Osaka - but I definitely enjoyed walking around. I wouldn't hesitate to return for a visit of a few days, and visit Kyoto as well.