FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:24 pm
cbn42
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by lancexfang
Well, somethings things are not as straight as you think you have got it.

When they said they only covered damaged or stolen goods, I made a point to say that I believed in my case it had not been stolen - I simply lost it. I did that not to be super honest. I did that because at that point, I thought 'losing it' was okay as far as it would be covered.

Now that I had made that admission about losing it while they reiterated that it may not be covered, I didn't change my story to say oh it was actually stolen. What I said was I'd file the claim as is by saying I had left it behind on the airplane, and whatever the determination is made by the processor under the rules, so be it. If you call that a lie, mea culpa. You win.

Now that you asked, it piqued my interest so I went back and dug out the benefit guide. Here is what it says about purchase protection: Purchase protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property. (bold mine)

I'm no lawyer. It seems to me 'involuntary and accidental parting with property' means losing. But again, what do I know. End of the day, it's not about how I understand it. It's about how the 3rd party Chase hired interprets it.
I wasn't saying that your loss is or isn't covered. I was simply pointing out that since you admitted that it was lost and not stolen, and since the representative said that they only cover damaged or stolen items, it is perfectly justified for them to want more information including a report from Delta. If anything, your anger should be directed at Delta rather than Chase or its agent.