FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - molested on flight
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:30 pm
Miranda200

molested on flight

Hello all- Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Long time flyertalk reader, not poster.

I was on UA930 SFO - LHR on the 11th. Seated in a row of 3 in the window seat. Lights out for the night I fell into a sound sleep. With around 4 hours left in the flight, I was awakened by a drunk man with his hands all over my upper thighs saying how horny he was. With the assistance of the man seated in the aisle I was able to exit the row and reported to a steward. Two stewards removed the drunk to another location on the plane and I returned to my seat.

Needless to say this was quite a shock.

A woman attendant later came to my seat and asked me to accompany her to the back of the plane where I was expecting some sort of sympathy. I was still quite shaken. Not at all what she wanted. She wanted me to speak to the assailant and hear his apology!
I refused as seeing him was the last thing I would want, and seriously what kind of words would ever take away such a horrific experience.

So back to my seat and after awhile that same woman attendant returned. We're still in the darkened cabin. She handed me a paper napkin and requested I write my name, seat number and a statement that I wouldn't take the matter further. SERIOUSLY??! I'm still shaking in my seat and this is the kind of comfort offered? I only provided my name and seat.

Throughout all this I never raised my voice or made any demands. I was just so shaken I didn't know what to do or say or how to even react. That was the last I heard from anyone on that flight.

Later that night, I scoured the United website who/how to report this incident. Best match I could find was an email to "customer care".

I received a return email stating they'd get back to me in 10 - 14 days.

I did receive an email from a claims agent this afternoon requesting a call back, which I did. Her main objective was to discover what I wanted United to do. I just don't want anyone else to go through this experience and be treated in such a cold and callous manner. She said she needed time to investigate and we'll talk tomorrow. She didn't have much in her perview but said they'd look into their procedures how to better improve their responses.

So here I am with a return flight on the 25th. I am dreading getting back on a plane.

What would you do? Please advise -