FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:37 am
FD1971
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Sorry to hear that. Oddly the two hotels share the same food and beverage management yet two vastly different experiences
I guess we all can't agree however I found the Grand Hyatt Melbourne this past October to be vastly superior in every way when it came to the club offerings and my own personal preferences.
The fruit was in season, the baking was better and I loved their blueberry muffins almost as good as the Highlands Inn ^ (Carmel) the gold standard IMHO
I found the GH breakfast highly satisfactory and the evening spread simply impressive.

The Park Hyatt had a closed club for breakfast and the buffet had more supermarket bread than I care to even think about.
Some plates went without replenishing and some days the salmon had poor trimming showing black and brown spots on it
The Park Hyatt did have some impressive presentation with their glass platters but I haven't yet learned to enjoy dining on presentation
I say hire a baker and give up some of the Coles bread selection
In fact I actually enjoyed Hyatt Regency Perth dining more and the club was open
One should never forget that the Grand Berlin was voted as the best property within Hyatt some years ago...and the competition was not limited to the Rickey's or Grand New York pre-renovation.

Aside from the usual bickering from FT'ers about long-gone amenities (like the new standard suite in Berlin replacing a more senior suite for suite upgrades) Berlin has become hit and miss in recent years and I did not figure out whether it is me or the unusually uneven service in Berlin.

We all know that the infrastructure, especially the rooms, have seen better days. I also question whether the colour of the marble will stand the test of time as long as Cologne, 25 years and counting in Cologne and the bath rooms still look upscale. The colours used in Mainz and Berlin are darker, so the whole set-up looks older. The rooms in Hamburg and Mainz need a major renovation and I do expect Berlin to hang around just fine given the challenging market conditions in that market, some renos could help here as well.

But Berlin is really nothing more than just fine, in other words, it is worth a small premium over other 5 star hotels in close proximity, but not more.