View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 14, 9:19 pm
Dr Jabadski

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (HT BD), several others
I’m Navy Reserve, mobilized to Afghanistan last year. I cannot comment about AmEx or Citi as I chose to close most of my CC accounts prior to deploying in order to re-apply (and get sign-up bonuses) once I got back home. I did keep a Chase CC account open and the letter I received from Chase states:
- maximum APR of 6% for entire account balance, including new purchases, unless a lower introductory or promotional rate applies (not that I personally carry a balance)
- exempt from all fees including foreign transaction fees, late fees, annual fees
- account will be reviewed and any adjustments for previous fees or interest will be credited back to the account.

Chase did send me 3 letters, each about a month apart. First one stated benefits will expire 90 days after my (active) military service ends, second stated 12 months after, 3rd stated 3 years from the day my service started (about 2.25 years after it ended). Each letter stated “the extension of your benefits is a gesture of appreciation for service in the military and our commitment to you as our customer”. This is a wonderful perk as I am averse to annual fees and this Chase card is the only card for which I do pay an annual fee and Chase has exempted me from the fee for a total of 3 years in consideration of a 9 month mobilization.

A good resource for this subject is The Military Frequent Flyer blog . The link is to his recent post about the SCRA and Capital One, the first paragraph has links to his posts about the SCRA and Chase and AmEx. SCRA benefits are different for each CC issuer and also different for active duty and reserve personal.

It’s nice that many business are extending perks to military personnel. Even the federal government has joined the bandwagon, making income earned while in a combat zone tax free up to the maximum pay for enlisted personnel. I certainly cannot speak for anyone other than myself but I always appreciate these perks and never take them for granted. Considering the typical military member is 19 or 22 years, does not make a whole lot of money and is often clueless about money management, I suspect that in their own way, they all also appreciate these gestures and perks.