FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:30 am
todorovic

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Looking at the reviews over the last year or so I noticed a mixed bag of feelings when it comes to GH Berlin. My family spent 2 nights (2 rooms) there towards the end of December and I have to agree that my take on this property is also a mixed bag. When it comes to the physical plant, GH Berlin is a great hotel (if we exclude a poorly executed access to the gym, where I had to wait almost 5 minutes for the elevator on several occasions). The service, however, is far from being great. While the check-in was courteous and efficient, things went downhill from there. The lounge attendants are fairly rude - they would (attempt to) take the plates from under our noses during the breakfast and evening service, a lot of times without even asking. One morning when all of us stood up to go get a few sweets from the buffet one of the attendants moved in and almost cleared the entire table including our coffee and tea without even trying to figure out if we were actually done or not.

The bad service was not confined to the lounge, though. One evening we had a dinner in the lobby restaurant (can't remember the name) and 2 out of 6 meals came out wrong even though we gave specific instructions about the dietary concerns one of our guests had and were assured that it won't be a problem to accommodate them. This led to most of us eating a cold meal as we were waiting for another meal to be prepared.

Regarding the latest discussion here on FT related to the appropriateness of serving food in little cups, all I'm going to say is that I don't agree with it but can understand why they are doing it. Our second evening there we were relaxing in the lounge around 5 PM and the place was deserted. At 5:58 (canapes start at 6 PM) a true wild-Africa stampede occurred with approx. 40 people suddenly materializing there and devouring any food that was brought out. This lasted for good 45 minutes and only then things kind of got back to normal. I can partially understand why this happened given the European restaurant prices, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.