FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:24 am
seanthepilot
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by c_9
Love this thread, but it is ridiculous and unhelpful for those trying to just check the basics. On FlyerTalk it's possible to "pin" information so it appears at the top of every page in a thread, so a newbie may find their FAQ answered immediately.

Want to help write it? Answer these questions and I'll gather them together and ask a mod to pin the info. I included example answers - please correct them!

I land in Bangkok soon and I'm not sure how the taxi stuff works... what do I do? Help!

BKK Terminal Map:

1. Land
2. Immigration
3. Bags
4. Customs
5. Head for exits
6. Escape in a taxi

How do I get a cab? Follow the signs for Taxi, and register at the little info desk outside near the cabs. They speak English, will ask your destination hotel, and will write down instructions for the taxi driver. They can explain some costs ahead of time.

How much will it cost...
...to Sathorn?
1 baht
...to Sukhumvit? 2 baht
...to the Palace? 3 baht
...to DMK airport for a connection? 4 baht

Should I get my hotel's airport transfer instead of a cab? Probably not - the cost is usually double what you'd pay a taxi driver. But it can be helpful if you know you have many people + bags, or want an extra measure of confidence in what's going on after your late arrival.

What might the taxi driver do to rip me off? Not use the meter, or take a more-expensive route with tolls even though traffic is fine on the free roads. They won't kidnap and kill you or anything, so if it's your first visit you can safely relax and enjoy the sights after your long flight.

Even if I just let the driver do whatever, how much money are we talking about here? Worst case scenario is probably a couple hundred baht. 100 baht is about $3.05 USD.

I think I still have other questions. Then just hit the Reply button below and chat with frequent flyers who are in Bangkok regularly!
GREAT IDEA... why don't you start a new thread, and we can close and archive this one.

This thread was started after the previous one got too long and muddled. These threads tend to evolve as this one has, and serve a good purpose, but I agree that it must be frustrating for the traveller looking for facts.

Or, just create that sticky and we continue on a usual in this thread.