FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:08 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by othermike27
For some interesting background, google "dcc fee" and check out (1) the wikipedia article that pops up showing a sample transaction with and without DCC applied, and (2) a Chris Elliott article from the Washington Post of May 20, 2013 (be sure to see the reader comments that follow the article).
I've read the Wikipedia article before. From Chris Elliott's article here, this quote is amusing, "Visa requires retailers to disclose currency conversion rates plus any associated fees and ensure that cardholders are offered a choice to accept the DCC services."

Yeah, right... It's just like CapitalOne's line for their non-EMV cards where, "Any merchant must accept all cards at the point of sale." With both DCC and EMV, the best we can do is complain, complain, and complain. I agree with your method of using cash for small transactions overseas and saving card use for larger purchases while watching carefully to make sure you don't get hit with DCC. I don't know if you were referring to this article where some comments are saying it's not a scam. I certainly think DCC is a scam, and merchants are sneaky, deceptive, and offer false reasons for saying it must be done that way. I need to make a point of reading the fine print before they swipe my card at a hotel overseas. With an in-person transaction it's somewhat easier because you can see the amount being charged written on thermal paper. Chip-and-PIN is the best defense against this scam because presumably you'd have to be able to see the amount being charged before entering your PIN.