FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated: Traveling with Golf Bags on United
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:06 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. But you're not going to get a refund for your entire airfare just because one bag was delayed a day or two. They still transported you, after all.

The issue is that I had a 10am tee time today with my father. We had planned a weekend of golf for some father son bonding. my entire weekend plans will be destroyed. ... My entire weekend has been ruined.
I can see how you'd be disappointed about the situation - I sure would be. But as for the "entire weekend being ruined," I think that's on you and not UA. Presumably, you got to see your father for the weekend anyway. And, presumably you got to spend no less time with him, and were able to bond, even if it wasn't on the golf course as you planned.

Things like this happen from time to time when you travel. Rather than getting into the mindset of your whole trip being "ruined" and spending lots of time on the phone with UA during that weekend (which it sounds like you did), just accept it as one of those things in life and get on with making alternate plans. I know this sort of advice rubs some people the wrong way, and that some people think it's beyond the scope of what FT is about, but I think it's straight on: we see far too many stories here of people that have things like this happen to them and almost seem determined to see that it "ruins" their entire trip, when a simple change of attitude (which can be done immediately, and at no cost) could solve the problem in short order.