FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planning Honeymoon to Kauai, Maui: Add a trip to the Big Island? Yes or no?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:32 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Perhaps Island shore cuisine transalated by professional award winning chefs doesn't mark everyones taste.. my favorite food on Kauai can be found in a local outfit called Koloa Fishmarket.. but its still served with white rice when eaten, breaks down into sugars. On the days that I had Koloa Fishmarket, I gained weight. I find the higher end places do serve in accordance with dietary needs, and serve nutritious delicious local targeted cuisine (i.e. fresh catch of the morning, island flavors, etc). Blue Dragon was fantastic food at half of the price of high end restaurants.

For example, a good local flavor stop is lunch at the Vanilla Bean Factory on Big Island. Its a bit pricey, but the vanilla infused dishes is pleasure to the senses.

Now if the local places could serve nutritious food (i.e. brown rice vs white rice).. I would frequent the local establishments more. I'm not one to say McDonalds is local, but we have visited McDonalds on occassion, on the Big Island. If on a budget, I guess this is always an alternative.

A good local thai sensation in Waikoloa is Keomany's Local Thai. Back of the truck. Delicious Pad Thai.