FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:40 pm
bmchris

Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

I've been reading through a few different threads about specific instances of mistake fares. But I don't recall seeing one about general best practices, so thought that I would post my own ideas here, and also have others contribute.

Things to do
- Do not call/tweet/email EITHER the hotel or the booking agency.
- Have a backup plan or reservation in case your original reservation is not honored at check in or at some time after your reservation is made.
- Keep a physical and electronic copy of your reservation in case you need to make a credit card dispute.
- Be reasonable. If the check in staff says that the $5 rate was a mistake, don't try and fake it by saying something like "You're hotel is so cheap, $5 actually seems fair". You are likely better off by agreeing it was a mistake rate, but there are plenty of times where you've paid a high rate, so it all evens out.
- Do not call/tweet/email EITHER the hotel or the booking agency.

Things not to do
- Make related uncancelable bookings (like airfare) until you are more sure that the deal will be honored. This may be with more time passing since booking, or confirmation of others being able to use the deal.
- Physically or mentally intimidate hotel staff if they choose to deny your reservation. Instead, be professional.
- Get upset if you miss a deal. There's more from where that came from.

Things you may/may not want to do
- Post your deal on Flyertalk. Some people think that more publicity leads to a better chance of a deal being retained. Others think the opposite.

Can anyone add more?

Last edited by bmchris; Jan 10, 2014 at 8:27 am