FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge {Archive}
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:13 pm
thegrailer

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I am not a CDG noob but my memory is not like it should be

I am a 1K traveling in Y with a few questions.
1) how can I determine whether there is RERB track work or not?
2) opposite way for customs? A bit more details or is it really that simple? (I remember the gate to get in, I am just foggy on how to get to them)
3) when arriving after flying in Y, will I receive an Access 1 card? Will I have to ask for it? I may have old ones from my last trip through (about a year ago). Will that still work?

I have a couple tight train connections at Gare de L'est and I cannot take other trains so need to find any times savings that I can.

Cheers

Originally Posted by mymiles2go
Agreed, as one who moved over here last summer and flies every week from CDG (primarily the Star Alliance 'Terminal' - T1).

You can't underestimate how quickly the train disruptions can hose you due to track work. Lately, my standard rule is leaving 3hrs from the center of Paris before a flight*. I'll usually try the RER first and see what it looks like when I get to the initial station screens (how far the train is going).

If that looks bad, I'll immediately jump in a cab.

As others noted, Taxi times range. At rush hour, it's easily 75-90 minutes. But, at a quiet time, it can be done in 25 minutes. Just depends on luck.

As far as UA check-in goes, as others noted, if you're in the premium line it's generally not too bad. Ensure to ask for a Access 1 pass. Sometimes they'll say "oh, it'll scan your boarding pass" - not always true. About half the time the boarding pass scan doesn't work.

When going up to customs, you'll need to walk the OPPOSITE way around as everyone else to use the access one pass. With the pass, in general I can get through customs in 5 minutes.

Then come security, budget 5-8 minutes for that even with the pass. There's nobody watching the 'merge' of pass vs non-pass, so it gets kinda messy.

Finally, when you arrive into CDG off a UA flight you'll be right in front of customs. Look at the line. If there's a line, keep on walking all the way around the loop (it'll take about 60 seconds) instead. That's the access 1 station. Always empty, at worse 2 minutes. It's also the crew entrance/exit, and in general, the guy there cares far less about checking passports than the other folks - so it gets super-quick.

*Keep in mind, I'm the person who in the US will get to the airport 45-55m before a flight and never worry.