FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:36 pm
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Then the bank will be happy to tell you about their rip-off currency exchange services so you can have money in advance.

In reality my local credit union just said they wouldn't do anything until the 2015 liability shift. I pressed them harder and they said the only way it would happen is if EMV became popular sooner.
In that light, I'd just say join another credit union that does (there's no requirement that you have to cancel your relationship with your current CU as well). No need to stress over it when there are a lot of options now.

I myself am a member of Andrews FCU and I live in LA which is waaaaaay far from where their branches are located. In fact, Andrews FCU sort of have become like a secondary bank for me (main bank is BofA). It's not like I need a live in-person branch services when these days, majority of the banking stuff can be done online or through a smartphone app.

Frankly, the only thing that can't be done online or through the ATM is deposit coins (meh) and give me money in multiple denominations (if I want to break a $20, I go to 7-Eleven).

Other than that, depositing checks, withdrawing money (fee free of course), transferring funds, online bill pay, etc. is pretty much the same across most US financial institutions nowadays that rarely you have a need to step a foot into a real bank and talk to someone.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 7, 2014 at 4:52 pm