FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First experience as 1K (during IROPS) not ideal
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:55 am
thepla
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
First experience as 1K (during IROPS) not ideal

I am scheduled MKE-CLE-ATL.

First I tried calling 1K desk last night for any updates due to weather and question due to check-in offered to volunteer for a later flight. Since there was not a later flight I wanted to ask what that could even mean. After prompts phone line dropped. I tried three times so I figured there is an issue with system.

Today I wake up and see, via E-mail, no phone call, that flight was cancelled. When I was EXP they would have called first thing this morning. They booked me on flight leaving on Jan 9. Since my flight coming home is tomorrow night they just ended up cancelling leg and leaving coming home there. No phone call nothing. I could have gone to airport and been really upset. So I would have an itinerary of just ATL-CLE-MKE. How stupid is that?

I called 1K line, they fortunately have issue with phone lines fixed. She tells me about system cancelling flight due to being past my trip coming home. I did homework, due to volunteer about options. There were two flights from MKE-ATL, non-stop after my 3pm scheduled flight. One at 4:30pm and one at 6pm. 1K line now says on 6pm is available (would that have been something if these were now sold out due to UA procrastinating?)

She did book me on that flight.

What really bothers me is she told me that UA does not oversell flights. In my EXP days (1998-2003) and NW Plat days (2002-2009) and CO Plat (2009 to 2011) 2012 and 2013 Plat on UA was 1K due to 100K on last year of CO. in all above cases they would have called (AA or NW and I think CO too) they would have called and for sure over sold a flight for a top tier.

I understand that weather is crazy system wide now but EXP for sure has humans reviewing these things and will call with options not just take out leg for outbound and not call and tell what is happening.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2014 at 8:03 am Reason: added missing detail to thread title