FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:24 pm
flyingmusicianlax

Programs: AS 100K
1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?

The best customer service around (Oh, you're 1K? We'll do anything for you!). Fast IRROPS handling. A written policy guaranteeing amenities to 1Ks in IRROPS. Easily navigated reservations systems. Proactive apologies and (occasionally) compensation when things went wrong. A CEO that didn't act like a celebrity by inserting himself into every safety video and didn't use lawyer double speak (Enhancements? Yeah, right). E500s as upgrade instruments, which preserved first class integrity. 1K Bags. 1K Desk.

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

The gradual but incessant cuts. Very difficult to use reservation system when doing anything but the simplest tasks. Downgrading of domestic first class meals (no new menu changes in the last 18 months, cut backs in quantity and quality). Loss of 8 CR-1s (RPUs). The feeling that the new airline considers 1K to be just another over-entitled group of elites (when compared to pre-merger UA). Non-merged pilot groups leading to massive delays when things go wrong and no apologies or compensation offered (experienced several 4+ hour delays in 2013). Almost guaranteed chance of flying on a RJ at some point if connecting.

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

I'd say the ability to transfer via Europe for awards to the Pacific, but that's going away. I'd say finally learning to read the flight loads in Expert Mode properly to increase my upgrade percentages, but I get better upgrade percentages on AA without having to do this. I'd say free SDC, but I almost never used it.

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?

AA

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

AA has an efficient and quick reservations system. EXP frontline service has been beyond exceptional. NO RJs on my most frequent route (thank goodness!). I've consistently received the best meals out of any airline I've flown domestically. Ability to reserve meals is an added bonus. Even if I don't get an upgrade, I get a choice of a free food and a free drink item in Y. Somewhat unrelated, DFW is a beautiful airport. The Admiral Clubs are very pretty on the inside and have more amenities like made-to-order food and internet-enabled computer stations.

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?

The uncertainty of the merger is a big risk, but so far AA has indicated they're retaining reservations systems, meal windows, branding, etc from PMAA. All of which was unlike the CO takeover of UA, so I'm hopeful. Time will tell if I am indeed correct.