FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:14 pm
BaltimoreZ71

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
How does that feel?

For many here, it seems like elite status is intertwined with their existence... Not exactly DYKWIA, but something which makes us feel more important or secure in our identity.

The rational part of your decision making process is sound.

How are you handling the irrational part?
Well I used to feel like as a 1K I had "status"--I just felt like I was treated a little better than general pax without having to ask for anything. Pre and post-merger, I always had great upgrade rate (probably because not a lot of 1Ks and GS flying to/from BWI) as well. After the merger, it seemed to me that I just became another passenger as a 1K. I never asked for anything extra and I am not a complainer so switching to WN doesn't really seem like much of a change at all.

I always thought the big jump from 1P to 1K made 1K a little more exclusive but having four tiers just seems too much. Maybe they should have had 25K, 66K, and 100K goals for 2P, 1P, and 1K.

By the way my daughter loves the change because it means the family has flown nonstop BWI-MCO to go to Disney and Universal twice last year on WN on award tickets.