FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:32 pm
perseus11

Originally Posted by dubstyle311
Has there been any updates on the terminal renovations? Now that the merger has closed, i wonder if the city/airlines will update their plans.
The following part of the $6B FAA CEP Plan has been agreed to by US Airways (Parker) - prior to the merger and includes approx. $800M in funding commitments for:
• A 1,500ft extension of runway 9L-27R that increases the total runway length to 12,000ft, providing the capability to accommodate large, long-haul aircraft flying to any point on the globe
• A redesigned and enhanced Terminal B and C ticketing area, which will include an automated baggage handling and screening system and a more spacious, centralised passenger security screening checkpoint to provide for greater efficiency and enhanced passenger flow
• Replacement of the current rental car facility surface lots with a multi-story consolidated rental car facility
• An initial design for an automated people-mover system between concourses that will make it easier for passengers to connect to other flights
• Airside improvements to include new taxiway/aircraft holding bays/apron to better queue for departure
• Continued rehabilitation of other existing airport infrastructure projects, including security upgrades, roof and window replacements, escalator upgrades, airport restrooms, roadways, concession programs and flight information display systems.

At the same time the above was agreed, US and the airport extended their lease agreement to June 30, 2015. I don't believe the above can be dismissed, except in Bankruptcy.

The ? is, what are the new AA's future plans for PHL and how will that affect further funding committments (by Parker) ?
For example, do A-West and A-East have sufficient gate space to support significant international expansion? A while back, the city proposed to expand A-West by decreasing gate seperation and/or extending the end of the terminal to the existing south hanger, which I believe was the old TWA hanger. Of course now with the merged US/AA, it would possibly be easier to just make A-East an all new (AA) terminal and connect all (unconnected) gates to the CIS.