FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by PGHflyer
I booked from PIT to SYD in Business back in April 2013 for our trip in late Feb 2014 (your timeframe). I spent many, many hours researching routing with the ANA tool. There was ZERO availability on ANY United flights leaving the US - even at almost one year in advance. There was spotty availability from other star worldwide gateways but not business openings from US to those gateways. Literally, the only options without long coach flights from any USA gateways to Australia were via OS (Asiana). Those flights currently have the older style business class (No AVOD, No Flat Seats) but it still beats coach for 24 hours. Good luck.

My parents went to Australia in Sept of 2013. I was able to easily find two seats on UA in business booking in January.. in addition, seats in first opened up so I changed their award to a GF booking

Originally Posted by Azurik
That's what I thought too, but there's a few people who managed to snag it at 90k when they place emphasis on what their destination city is. Is that no longer the case or has something changed?
Definitely a YMMV.. I made a booking for NRT and BKK and tried to convince them that BKK was a stopover.. no dice.. I tried calling 6 times and finally just accepted the SE Asia award....

FDW