FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:37 pm
scottsam66

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by jchock1
There weren't award seats open for CLT-LHR on US when I booked, thus the extra connection through MUC on LH, and I check daily to see if any open up CLT-LHR.

I may try calling ahead of time to see if they might be able to open up a couple of award seats if there are still seats available a week or so before departure and it's not looking like they'll be able to sell them.

I've already changed the return part of my trip due to a 2-minute schedule change, so I've used up my freebie change.

I assume US has to pay LH for my flights, and it seems if they have empty seats going out on their own flight, it'd be in their best financial interests to put me on their metal.

Not a huge deal either way, as the total travel time is about the same, but would be nice to avoid an extra connection. And, we don't check bags, so that would not be an issue.
You mention using up your freebie change?
The only free changes would be within 24hrs, or unlimited if you are CP for awards.
I really don't think a phone call will have any effect on them opening up award seats. Try have advanced algorithms to determine the fare matrix and I presume them to be fairly rigid.