FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refuelling receipt - BNE airport. Scam or ripoff?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:54 am
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Actually, you're quite wrong,
In your opinion. I have sources which I class as being far more reliable on this which I will trust over you

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

The scam is, if people are doing that, then they should, of course try to fill the tank on each and every car returned. Instead, they're too lazy, and want to get more revenue off of each rental.

If you don't believe that this is mostly an extra revenue grab, you're naive. Especially since the OP has rented at this location before, and such a charge was not in effect.

The fact that even the location couldn't tell him the real cost, if it was per K, or per liter, etc, makes it even more of a scam.
I do lots of rentals in Australia and have whenever I have refuelled the vehicle have not ended up with this charge. It is VERY clear on the rental agreement and came about due to people not filling up and then trying to argue after being charged that the charge is invalid

Who is going to wait 20 minutes for the car to be taken to a petrol station , topped up , returned and confirmed that the tank actually was full?

The vehicle consumption rates are not set by the location but are the same across the country. Based on the set rate and the petrol rate on rental, the cost is determined. The petrol rate is stated on the RA

If you think the whole of Australia Hertz rental policies are a "scam" , I would suggest not renting here

$50 does sound quite fesible a charge for a large vehicle on 80 Km. .

At $3.20 a litre ( which is what I recall it being on my last rental ) plus 20% Brisbane Airport Location fees would come to $3.84 a litre, so would be approx 13 litres. this would be a consumption rating of 15.6L per 100Km which is definitely on par with some of the vehicles in Hertz AU fleet

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 26, 2013 at 4:55 am