FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:23 am
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by price123
The standard suite is the 9th floor 2 room suite with balcony. There are also the lower floor suites which are more studio suites in style.

2 of the suites inside the Presidential Suite are classed as Regency Suites (apparently) - the other 2 are speciality suites.

I disagree that they don't give the better suites out - we received an executive suite on our first stay (first ever Hyatt stay), the Royal Suite on our second stay, the Saatchi Suite on 2 occasions and suites or executive suites on probably 80% of our stays. However, it may well be that the hotel regards return visitors as more valuable than diamond members (I remember talking to a fellow FTer in the lounge who was only platinum, but received a suite with club access on their second stay).

However, it depends on the time of year. During the summer, the hotel is near full occupancy and many of the suites are taken over for months at a time by families escaping the heat of the Middle East (with the 6 figure bills to match).

Prices are often absurd (although not as bad as IC Park Lane), but if under £300/night, reasonable value for London, at least as a diamond member.
Have been a guest at this Hyatt property since the change over of branding from the former InterContinental.
I am a Diamond for over 20 years and going on 3 million Gold Passport points and a fair number of stays with the Hyatt Churchill over the years
This calendar year I closely approach approx 80 room nights at mostly full service Hyatt's this year alone without counting award stays
Would disagree with your assessment generally in my experience and conversations with upper management whom I deeply respect.

Don't typically stay May through September though one exception was the London Olympics stayed at Andaz .
Churchill was a 1000 a night for a basic club floor room!
There are a number of factors regarding upgrade recognition here and quite frankly it gets complicated IMHO
On the other hand when you become a regular at the hotel they do seem to take care of you. More so when asking the right empowered individuals.
A number of agents have little empowerment and in the past check in agents on the club floor would smile and do
offer nothing other than a slightly bigger standard higher floor room more frequently the norm/standard assigned to Diamonds without suite upgrade confirmed in advance
Gold Passport and the hotel upgrade into a very a limited pool of smaller suites and then its up to the hotel to decide if it wishes to do more before or after arrival.
Have never been upgraded at this hotel past the standard norm with out asking or developing an internal contact.
On my very first stay some years ago I was in a vip suite and on some occasions through my personal contacts upgraded further
out of the standard pool of inventory for normal suites allocated.
As always your experiences mileage and points may vary

You also bring up the IC Park Lane which to me is an old tired property that has been accused of price fixing and known for overpricing in general for rooms year round
One may wish to look at the InterContinental Westminster one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at in London.
Its state of the art modern and frequently found for under £300/night off season anyway
If one is staying on weekends the fantastic BOGO vouchers are easy to obtain and great to use at ether property cutting their highest basic room
in half something you can never/rarely do at any Hyatt
They are by the book with upgrades for Ambassador to nothing more than best room available but the standard is much higher than Churchill
and the gym is vastly superior to the inadequate facility of the Churchill
The Hyatt Churchill's feather in its cap is the service team, location and food and beverage.I wish the IC Westminster was a Hyatt its a much better standard in the room itself and comfort of accommodations

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 20, 2013 at 11:34 am