FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:43 pm
Plato90s
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
But at the end of the day, I think it's very safe to assume that at some point in the future your banked DM miles will migrate into the new FF program, just like pre-merger AA miles will be migrated into the new program.
True, and I should have been more clear in saying that when I said that DM miles would not be merged, I should have said would not be immediately merged into the new program. My thought was that people would be allowed to keep a separate legacy DM balance for a while in order to redeem them for Star Alliance awards, which can't be done with AAdvantage miles.

Now that US Airways has made clear that, as of Mar 31, legacy DM balance can no longer be used to redeem on Star Alliance the possible outcomes have narrowed.

Since DM members won't be able to redeem against Star Alliance by the time the airlines merge the FF program, there's no residual value in keeping a separate legacy DM balance. I suspect it'll be done similar to the TWA program where people request either a migration or a merge of accounts into AAdvantage. I believe the current form of AAdvantage will define the vast majority of the combined program.

FWIW, there were some TWA mileage balances which got wiped out since they weren't transferred before the deadline.