FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Ch11 unavoidable for UA next year?
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:42 pm
Weez_1000

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
Hello everyone. I don't want to start another bashing thread and politely request that we remain objective.

As we know, UA is at an all-time low and continues to make changes that severely hinder its ability to retain loyal flyers. Other than its global network, UA doesn't seem to have anything valuable that AA/US and DL wouldn't offer and even surpass (e.g., better customer service, 1x2x1 J class configuration, etc.).

When UA lost $35 million from my company alone, I thought it would be somewhat rare, but from posts here, Linkedin, Facebook, et al., it seems that UA continues to lose many other contracts.

Thus, my focus of discussion is the following: even if Smisek is replaced, will UA ever be able to recover? Unquestionably, UA will need to spend lots of resources to lure back HV pax and offer competitive premium cabins. So if UA suddenly decided to change and bring back former amenities and services, how successful could the airline be if its actions were quickly matched by AA and DL? As things stand right now, even B6 will have a superior transcon product next year.
I think its avoidable but I am also in the camp that believes there is no way Smisek survives another year.