FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:05 am
MS02113

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I propose they put in automated boarding lanes w/ actual gates (much like you see on many metro systems), and if your BP doesn't meet that zone then you are rejected. The social backlash from holding up the line and being an idiot might be enough to fix the boarding zone process.
A similar system controls access to the priority security queue at BRU, but I imagine automated turnstiles would be prohibitively expensive to install at every Delta gate.

That said, whatever became of the self-boarding system that Delta was testing at BOS gate A2 (among other locations)?

Originally Posted by FlyerBrit
I have often thought that it might be a good idea to have a clear display screen on the GIDs that would list all zones and and what order they are called.

There is I think one screen that tells you where to find your zone # on the boarding pass - but nothing to indicate what zones there are or what order they are called in.
I seriously doubt that infrequent flyers pay much attention the screens.

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Setup separate lanes for each zone... Sure, you would probably have more gate lice this way, but at least they would be more organized!
UA uses this process, at least in BOS Terminal A. It appears to work well enough, though the separate lanes take up quite a bit of room that might not be available at every gate.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would help a lot IMO to post the current boarding zone on the monitor over the GA's "desk" at the gate. Often it's difficult to hear what zone is called or someone arrives late and discovers too late that his or her zone is already boarding.
I've noticed that the overhead GID screens already display the currently-boarding zone in a bright green box at some Delta stations. It doesn't seem to help.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is what happens when PREM boards but all the DL elites who weren't upgraded block the SkyPriority lane. My most recent bad example of this was when BE boarded on a TPAC flight but no one in BE could get to the podium and some apparent non kettles who should have known better simply refused to move.
No doubt, the gate agents need to do a better job clearing a path to the podium at the start of boarding. Simply announce that everyone must step aside.

Last edited by MS02113; Dec 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm