FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:46 am
bdemaria
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Date: 5 December

AAdvantage Status: EXP

Fare class: N, upgraded to C

Route: LAX-JFK, 11:20 pm departure on the 762 (rebooked on this route b/c SJC-DFW-LHR cancelled b/c of weather)

What happened: taxied out about 20 minutes late, then right engine wouldn't start, back to gate where the pilot announces "good news, we have the part, it will take about 2 hrs to swap out), we sit on the plane while its done

Compensation: 12,500 miles shows up in my account

Comments: it was nice to get the miles; but I was disappointed w/the on the ground service (and frankly the FAs) w/regard to making my connection, no help whatsoever for those of us running through JFK to make the day JFK-LHR flight. For example, when I asked the FA to ask people not connecting to stay seated so those of us trying to catch flight could get off the plane more quickly, she replied "we don't do that" and about 4 people around me all said "we hear it all the time" Then, no special GA to meet us and let the departing flight know we were on our way. If my sister hadn't been waiting for me at the LHR gate and telling them what was happening, I don't think I would have made it.

As is too often the case: the delay isn't the biggest issue, rather its how the delay is handled