FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:27 am
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by nall
This is for connections into/out of the southeast, and the options are typically ATL, CLT, DFW, and MIA. I can't speak to other regions.

But often people have to get late connections, and frequently it seems like they get stuck in CLT for the night due to misconnects too, so there's also that.
I don't fly to the SE much, except for the occasional CHA run. I'll defer to your experience there. The only thing I'd say is that I don't want to connect in DFW or MIA for a Southeast destination as I'm coming from New England.

None *HAVE* to go, but a couple likely will. Other mergers (e.g., DL/NW) ultimately ended with some hub closures, and good management will do that.

Remember this is a company, not a non-profit. They're not going to keep open hubs they don't need out of the goodness of their hearts.
I'm not seeing it. DL/NW dehubbed some smaller cities. Are we talking about MEM/CVG? I'd liken those more to PIT than any of the current post-merger AA hubs. In my view, there's a very natural rationalization that could happen - focusing NYC and LAX on internationals/TCON and shifting domestic regional or MIDCON traffic to PHL and PHX, respectively, to free up slots/gates. Unlike the DL de-hubs, all of the current AA hubs are in large markets, except for maybe CLT which has other strategic advantages (cost, space). If you really twist my arm, I could maybe understand losing PHX, but that's just opening the door for someone like WN to come in and take away regional business.

I most certainly did not. In fact, I pointed out CLT as being one of the most valuable and safe hubs. I suggest you re-read my post.
OK, fair enough, I missed you on that one but my substantive points still stand.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Dec 11, 2013 at 7:28 am Reason: Derped the quotes, sorry.