FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:55 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markandrew
Amex gives more points, more benefits and more value for the annual fee, in addition to generally better customer care, service levels etc.

You travel a lot, most such travelers would rather have 2 miles per $ than 1. Of course there will be exceptions but I cannot see how many people would rather pay $399 for this product over $499 for Amex Aeroplat or Plat (Discounting the travel credit from the Plat annual fee which some will disagree with but works flawlessly for me).
I don't mean to say I'd pay $399. I'm saying I haven't seen any significant value in paying more than $100 for an annual fee. Lounge access, priority check-in/security...yay?

And the AmEx AeroplanPlus Platinum says it's only 1.25 points per dollar.

I'm not sure I put enough spend on a card that even 2 points per dollar would make it worth the additional $400 annual fee. I'd have to spend $20k to break even at 1cpm? I probably do that, but not much more.

Also, my TD card gives me 3x points on travel booked through them (effectively 4.5% cashback), and my Chase card gives me double points on travel, and both of those are roughly $100/year.

If it works for you, great, but I don't think it's fair to say that anyone with high income would see a benefit.