FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MR gone bad
Thread: MR gone bad
View Single Post
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:27 pm
DLDiamond2013

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
In the middle of a MR gone wrong, too, though not as badly as your misfortune. Scheduled to fly MIA-ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-ATL-MIA over this Friday to Sunday. Also all back to back flying, no hotel stays. Just time in planes and airport lounges (yay for showers in Sky Clubs). Anyway, the plane for ATL-NRT went mechanical, so we had to wait for the inbound NRT-ATL aircraft to arrive and do as fast a turn as possible to complete ATL-NRT. At the end of the day, we arrived to NRT about 2.5 hours late, causing me to misconnect to SIN by 30 minutes. They rebooked me for the next morning to SIN on All Nippon Airways, which was all well and good, except for the fact that my new arrival into SIN would be 12 hours after my scheduled departure time from SIN since this was only a MR with minimal ground time. Delta had made hotel arrangements for all misconnected passengers and provided dinner and breakfast vouchers as well as transportation from/to the airport. They even upgraded me to an executive level hotel room after marking my check-in form "HVC" which I can only assume is due to my Diamond status. Once at the hotel, I called the Diamond line and had them cancel the NRT-SIN and SIN-NRT legs and just send me back home on my original NRT-ATL-MIA flights. Handled with no problem in a few minutes. End result was about a 20 hour layover in Tokyo and a free hotel stay with free meals at Delta's expense. Didn't complain at all and made the most of the unintended adventure. Process was impeccably handled on Delta's end and I didn't need a single paper voucher or show anybody anything like during IRROPS in the US. Everything was just "in the computer." I didn't even have to leave a credit card at the hotel for incidentals. Ended up staying at the crew hotel and chatted this morning with two Delta pilots who were in the middle of an Asian trip. Very nice guys. Now sitting in the NRT Sky Club before heading home. A fun weekend despite the IRROP. Didn't mess anything up since this trip had no purpose other than to earn miles. Back to work on same scheduled day. Will request ORC for missing SIN legs and see what happens since they couldn't get me there on my originally scheduled itinerary. Happy Holidays!