FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Our Tribute To US Airways
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:22 pm
BoeingBoy

Programs: None
I know that most, if not all, of you are pretty loyal US (or Allegheny) fans but I came from what I still consider the best airline in the world. So my first US flight was my first flight in August 1989 - PI disappeared as far as the public was concerned on Aug 1, 1989.

That's the only airline that I know of that won Best Airline of the Year on the strength of strictly write-in votes - if wasn't listed on the ballots. After paying lip service to "taking the best of both" US and PI, Colodny managed to eradicate everything even resembling PI within 2-3 years. For example, after that merger I talked to the FA who had a wholesale flower business on the side and supplied all the flowers PI used in FC service. He went to Colodny with a presentation of how much US could save by having him overnight the flowers to the various caterers. The only thing Colodny asked was "Is that the way Piedmont did it?". When told that it was, Colodny wasn't interested.

Because of that history, I take at least a little pride in saying that I never used "US Air" or "US Airways" in a PA.

Jim