FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MERGER: US and AA Dec 9 2013 implications for AA flyers (new)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:21 pm
Stripe

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
Originally Posted by Stripe
In general, the ratio of F to Y seats is less favorable in the US fleet, but I would not expect them to change the ratios on the current AA planes.
Make sure you're sitting down before you look at the 319 seat map.
Yikes. I haven't paid much attention to the discussion about the AA 319s. For some reason I thought they had 12 F seats, like DL (which cut back from NW's 16). The US configuration would indeed be a big improvement, but I would assume new 319s (if US has any on order) will be built to the AA specs.

Originally Posted by PresRDC
My only real concern is that the new AAdvantage Program adopts 4 elite levels, lifetime platinums get the second tier from the bottom and this tier does not come with Oneworld Saphire status.
All the major airlines provide international lounge access to their 50K elite tier. I would not expect that to go away even if a 75K level were added. However, I would not expect the 100% mileage bonus to survive.

Regarding upgrades there are interesting differences in priority. Both base it primarily on elite tier, of course, but within elite tier US prioritizes based on "the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months". AA bases it on time of request. UA and DL rank by fare class, within each elite tier. It will be interesting to see how that settles out. The AA model works well for me.

Also, it appears that the lowest tier US elite flying on a Y or B fare will trump even the highest tier (CP) flying on a discount fare, and the upgrade can be confirmed any time. AA only upgrades within the stated windows, even for full fare, and elite tier trumps all.