FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barrow in the late Spring? How about the rest of AK?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:20 pm
yohanson

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Barrow in the late Spring? How about the rest of AK?

I'm planning my 3rd trip to Alaska next year. I've already booked JFK-ANC (need to get to JFK yet) and I'll be departing the Thursday of the last week of May and returning the first Saturday of June. Anyhoo, I need to swim in the Arctic to get all of the world's oceans under my belt (I have 3 of the 4 due just to regular travel so I figured I'd get the last one too) and I think Barrow would be the perfect place to do it.

I'd like to go out to the point and check out other sites while I'm there but I don't plan on staying long. I assume there is 24 hours of light at that time or close to it. Is one day enough at that time of year or should I plan on two? Any recommendations on what to do?

Also, can anyone recommend what I should do for the rest of the time I'm in Alaska? On my first trip I spent parts of 3 days in Denali and on my last trip, I spent 5 days in Homer (fishing as well as hiking across the bay) with a visit to Seward.

Also, I'm going alone at this point until I can find a companion to go with. That is if I find one.