FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for desert photography near San Diego
Old Dec 1, 13, 6:58 pm
exerda
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Plenty in Anza Borrego for a day, and it's not too far from San Diego (about 1.5 hours IIRC--been a few years since I drove out that way). I've been once with a 4x4 and once with a passenger car, and got to see plenty. It's not quite the same as, say, Death Valley, Saguaro NP, or red rock country, but it's still pretty. February is a bit early for wildflowers... hmm. I suppose you could go all the way to the Salton Sea or Joshua Tree, but those would indeed make for long days (Joshua Tree being ~2.5-3h from San Diego). Some of the trails do require a high-clearance SUV, but there's plenty more if you can't make it to those areas.

Depending on your route to A-B, there are some interesting places you can stop. I've made the trip with stops and the Inaja Nature Trail in Cleveland National Forest and at Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve; neither are strictly desert environs (more sub-alpine IIRC), though.

Last edited by exerda; Dec 1, 13 at 7:24 pm