FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:42 pm
Short hair Francis

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LH4116
Interesting about the haze. I was in Singapore around the time you took those flights, in fact I left SIN for Kuala Lumpur on the 24th of June. I suppose I chose the worst week possible to visit this region because the haze almost completely ruined my holiday. Thankfully I didn't suffer from any respiratory issues from inhaling the smog, though my clothes didn't smell too good.

I guess the most pathetic thing was that no pharmacy in Singapore had stocked masks, and the government didn't seem to do anything about it. Heck they didn't even seem to do anything about those criminal farmers.

Anyways, back to the flights. Must say that the meal service on the 2nd leg looked rather impressive. Didn't know they served Foie Grass, and the lamb loin looked pretty darn delicious too. Too bad it's not a BTC meal.
Hi LH4116, ya The haze was pretty bad, I didn't want to stay outdoors for more than a minute. Definitely was making breathing hard for sure.
It's sad for SIN because you think of SIN as a overall clean city.
I can't explain for the stocked mask but short of Singapore going to war with Indonesia, there isn't much SIN can do in this case.
Since it was the Indonesian farmers doing the slash n burn, then the wind direction causing the issue
Another great environmental case study of up-stream/up-wind effects.

For a 2 hour flight, SQ is really good with their food servings.
It's awesome you brought up Foie Gras, I've actually had it a couple times this years in J/F
Mar - SQ J HKG-SIN, Apr - AC J CDG-YYZ, Jul - NH F - LHR-NRT.
They certainly are there once in awhile, Foie Gras on the menu

And you probably notice, I don't tend to do BTC.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
It's great to read your trip report! I can't wait to see Bali's part.
Thanks themapelligroup, glad to see people are still reading this TR.
Bali? I think it's an ok part, personally I think the Rangoon and Bagan parts are better to be honest

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Not sure if you know, but thought I'd mention there are trains air side so you don't need to go through customs. Could have easily just popped into the SKL to get your BP.
Hi DHalltheway, I know you can do airside, I'm just one of those that likes to collect stamps on passport and collect the entire boarding pass is all

Should have the next part up shortly