FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:08 pm
gwhite216

Programs: United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Ouch...We arrived last night around around 10:45 from MIA. We were greeted without a bellhop on staff and unloaded luggage for 2 adults and 2 kids for 5 days. Upon waiting for 20 minutes to check in we were offered an upgrade to a Ocean Front Suite and were please. We were presented with arrival amenity and explained the $25/day resort fee. I chose the drinks at the bar and was told it is good for 2 and they will give us a non alcoholic drink for each child. I asked if there was a crib in the room as requested and the he said he would send one up.

The first impressions of the lobby were nice. It seemed updated and clean. As we dragged our luggage upstairs to 1102 in 2 trips we noticed the halls and walls are in need of repair. Our room is fairly spacious but in needs of some TLC. It seems as if it was updated a few years ago and never maintained. The TV is fuzzy, bathtub is chipped, no robes (but hanger touting them), sagging sofa, and scuffed walls. Needless to say we were no wowed by first impressions. After 30 minutes of waiting for a crib I called down again. 30 minutes later I walked down to talk to the front desk. Before I talked to them I decided to grab the amenity drinks at the bar. I asked for 2 mojitos but they did not have them. So settled on a standard vodka/soda. As the bartender came with the drinks I mentioned what the FD said about the amenity and asked for 2 bottled waters. He told me that the certificate only covers 1 drink. I went to the FD but no one was working. When someone came out I expressed all of my frustrations and she told me things would get better and comped our drinks and breakfast. Needless to say there was still no crib.

As I returned to the room, I booked the Hyatt down the street for the next 3 nights. Today continued the bad experiences. The food is horrible, service is lacking, and overall experience has been memorable in the wrong way. It takes a lot to book another hotel mid stay but I did it. I would suggest staying away from this property.