FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are SkyClub agents not as empowered as other airline's club agents?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:08 am
sts603
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Are SkyClub agents not as empowered as other airline's club agents?

I don't fly DL regularly but sometimes I will buy a DL F ticket that is well-priced that fits my needs better than the corresponding AA itinerary. Several months ago though I was in Y and wanted a seat change from one Econ Comfort seat to another. Was sent my the SkyClub to the gate (luckily right downstairs) to get it changed. Was really surprised they couldn't do that there.

Yesterday, was traveling on a First ticket (G class) through ATL to the Northeast. Massive delays out of ATL. Traveling with carry on luggage, I arrived in ATL - checked to see if there were seats on an earlier flight (it was showing F5 and even G1). Went to SkyClub for what I thought would be a 30 second transaction and a new boarding pass. On US or AA (can't speak to the new UA and their club agents), this would have been what transpired. Instead, I was told that the flight was under gate control and "closed out" (more than 2 hours out from the revised departure time) and sent to the gate. I was shocked. This is what club agents are there for - to process changes and handle issues to spare both overworked GAs and to allow passengers a one stop shop for just about anything.

Of course, the GA claimed he hadn't even logged into the flight yet and had no interest in helping me (there was another flight before my flight but he was doing nothing for that flight which was still well out from boarding) and said it would cost me $50 anyways (as if he just assumed that would get me to drop it) and told me my F ticket was in fact a coach ticket with an upgrade (yes, I understand -UP fares but if I hit First on Delta.com, its an F ticket to me - not necessarily refundable/flexible - but an F ticket - 99.9% of travelers would think the same - and when flights are delayed 3+ hours, I expect it to be changed to an earlier flight no questions asked) and sent me to Customer Service.

Customer Service did what I expected the Club to do in the first place, hit two keys and printed out an F BP on the flight I wanted with a smile. But all in all a very poor showing by DL. So my question, are DL SkyClub agents always so unwilling to help or not empowered to do so? Or have I just gotten two bad experiences in a row.