FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:10 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by muji
Originally Posted by guv1976
If HA publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare, it will permit routing via HNL, and SEA-HNL-HND will price as a single award.
And a 2-3 day stopover could be part of such an itinerary? (I'll check into this further - will call HA, but for now am wondering if you or others could confirm this.)

Originally Posted by guv1976
JL may still have such a fare, allowing routings through cities other than HNL (like SFO, LAX, YVR), with the first leg to be flown on a different carrier.
So, I would call JAL and ask if they could quote me a SEA-HNL-TYO fare; is that correct? (I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly.) And then if I take this option I don't think I would actually then fly, for example, SEA-YVR (on, probably, Alaska), then YVR-HNL (on Air Canada - but it's not a JAL partner, so I think I'm misunderstanding this) then HNL-TYO (on JAL); correct? I would actually be flying, in this scenario, SEA-HNL (on HA or AS), then HNL-TYO on JAL; is this correct?

Thanks again for your advice.
No, you're misunderstanding.

Don't call JL; don't call HA.

If you are content to fly HA HNL-HND, then book SEA-HNL-HND as a single award (with stopover) on aa.com.

If you only want to fly JL HNL-TYO, you can call AA back and ask if JL publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare that permits routing via HNL. If JL does, then you should be able to get a single award for SEA-HNL-TYO, utilizing JL for the HNL-TYO leg. But the fact that AA has already told you that two awards would be required when using JL for the HNL-TYO leg suggests to me that JL's published SEA-TYO fares do not permit routing via HNL.