FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:39 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by muji
Thank you, guv1976.
Originally Posted by guv1976
It's possible that JL's SEA-TYO fares do not permit routing via HNL.
JAL itself no longer flies out of SEA.

Originally Posted by guv1976
HA flies HNL-HND. Try booking SEA-HNL, HNL-HND on the multi-city award-booking engine at aa.com.
I'll look into that. I am not familiar with it - it sounds like I would book flights on aa.com for partner airline (HA) flights…but would that likely end up being two separate itineraries, costing miles for each itinerary (in others words, instead of a o/w in economy at only 25,000 miles it would be two o/w flights in economy, SEA-HNL & HNL-HND for 25,000 + 25,000)?
Not necessarily. If HA publishes a HNL-TYO through-fare, it will permit routing via HNL, and SEA-HNL-HND will price as a single award. You can confirm whether this is the case by attempting to book the itinerary at aa.com, using the multi-city award-booking engine, which you can find by clicking the "Plan Travel" tab near the top of the aa.com homepage.

The fact that JL no longer serves SEA does not necessarily mean that JL no longer publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare. JL may still have such a fare, allowing routings through cities other than HNL (like SFO, LAX, YVR), with the first leg to be flown on a different carrier.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm