FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Years In Turkmenistan And Madrid (LH/TK/SN J)
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:45 pm
gluedtothewindow

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Part 1

After a kind lift from Lil’s folks, we arrived at LAX’s TBIT with loads of time to spare. Naturally the check-in agent spent a little extra time to make sure all of our Turkmen documents were in order, which they were, and we were through security and into the Star Alliance lounge in no time.

Here I took the opportunity to call UA and get us switched to a later ASB-IST-MAD flight, which ensured we wouldn’t have to wake up at 2AM to catch the early flight. The food offerings in the lounge were more than adequate. If memory serves me correct, I enjoyed a tasty soup and a club soda.

I was very excited to be flying on the upper deck of Lufthansa’s new 747-8 to Frankfurt. At that point it had only been on the route for a short period of time. First impressions of the cabin were positive – bright, comfy seats, ample storage space, large IFE screen – really no complaints.

The most memorable part of the flight occurred during my first drink order. It went something like this.

FA: What would you like to drink before the meal?
Me: I’d like a Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks please.
(FA leaves for a moment, then returns)
FA: I’m so sorry, we don’t have any of the black. But I’ve brought some Johnnie Walker Blue from first class instead.
Me: <ear-to-ear grin>

And it wasn’t just one glass, either — she kept me topped up for the entire 10-hour flight. Dankeschön Lufthansa!

Last edited by gluedtothewindow; Nov 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm