FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Journey Through Kyrgyzstan
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:42 am
DanielW

Got to the airport at 8:30pm for my 10:45 flight to Bishkek. One big queue for all the flights, but luckily I got checked in by 9:30pm, got some McD's, then boarded the 737 for the 4 hour flight to Bishkek. First time flying a LCC ( low cost carrier), Flydubai, but the flight was ok. Food & drinks cost extra, but only $2 for a coke, so not too bad. Although it was a red eye flight, the seats didn't recline, and no blankets or pillows, so couldn't really sleep.

Landed at Bishkek airport at 4:30am local time. It's the main airbase where they fly the air tankers for the jet fighters over Afghanistan, so there were about 10 707 air tankers parked on the apron. Got my passport stamped by customs, got my bag, and caught a taxi for the 25 minute ride into town.

Manas Airport:

Got to the hotel and as too early to check in, dropped off my bags and went for a walk into town. Still dark, but was good to watch the city slowly come to life as the sun rose. Wandered aimlessly around town, taking a photo or two. Had a bit of a conversation with a couple of Kyrgyz guys who were half drunk and wanted to practice their English. Bought some bread rolls and Airan (fermented milk drink) for breakfast, and then headed to the national history museum at 10am. Was a bit outdated, and the main attraction was a couple of faux-bronze murals that were a bit of a shrine to Lenin. Met an American guy who recognized my 'Intrepid' bag. After chatting for a bit realised we were on the same trip.

Grabbed a kebab for 75 soms, or about $1.5 for lunch. Then went back to the hotel to check in, and crashed for a bit of nap.

After managing to get up a few hours later, went out for a run on the streets. Had a shower, then went out for some dinner. Found the 'Obama bar & grill', and had some chicken burritos. Definitely more American than Kyrgyz.

Got up Sunday morning, went for a run, and then met up with the rest of the people for the group meeting. A couple called Jodi and Paul are the driver and tour leader, and have started the truck driving from Greece all the way to Beijing, and now on the way back to Greece. Some people started the trip from Beijing, and are getting off in Istanbul, for a total of 96 days. I'm hopping on here at Bishkek, and getting off in Tashkent, Uzbekistan in 16 days time. A good mixture of people and nationalities, Aussies, another kiwi, a few from the US, UK and Canada. Met up with my room/tent mate Jack from the UK. He had just turned up after missing his flight at Stanstead, and had to fork out another $1000 for a later flight from Heathrow.

Our truck is similar to the one we had on my 2012 Kenya trip, but has a name this time, 'Aziza' or Arabic for precious.