FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MRing to ANC in Jan/Feb for salmon
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:27 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by libuser
Thanks for the quick reply mate.
It amazes me how Anchorage is suffocating with Salmon and fish and the prices are still higher than the lower 48. I thought that the salmon prices would be like $3 per lb wild and $1 per lb for farm raised. I guess I will not fly to ANC this winter.

I don't really eat crab since its a lot of work for very little meat...

If one were to fly to there in high fish season I have read that one could catch more than 100 lbs of Salmon, although can't really fish Salmon in winter... With the going prices that I have seen online that means that one could catch $500 worth of fish in a single day. Damn this is worth going for...
Anchorage is a great place to visit for sport fishing, but commercial fishing occurs far away in other parts of the state, such as Prince William Sound (from which comes the overhyped Copper River fish) and southeast Alaska (Ketchikan etc.) which is actually closer to Seattle than to Anchorage in terms of transit time. The main markets are in the lower 48 and overseas. People are often surprised to buy fish in Anchorage that's been harvested in the Aleutians or Bristol Bay and then sent back north from Seattle, but that's the nature of the industry.

Salmon is also a seasonal industry, and December is NOT the season. Crab, on the other hand, is mainly harvested in the fall and winter months, so it's more likely to be fresher (or frozen for a shorter period) than salmon at this time of year.

At $10 a pound you can catch one 50-lb King salmon and do good. Or 5 10-lb Silvers, although those would be record fish and I've never caught more than 3 in one day, but YMMV.

If it's the meat you're after, Costco. If it's the fun, Alaska.