FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The reason for the AC pilots hesitation to sign
Old May 29, 2003, 11:32 am
back seat

After Burner:

In my first job in aviation (as a pilot) I was paid a small livable salary, in my second job, I was paid less to fly a bigger airplane, my next job I was not paid at all - why because my "colleagues" were willing to work for less and less. I got out of commercial flying in 1983 because of this and haven't missed it at all.

Air Canada pilots, in my opinion, get a fair wage for the knowledge / training and what they do ( command a multi million dollare airplane with 100+ people on it). Most have University degrees and have paid upwards of $35,000 for training (Private, Commercial, Multi, IFR, licenses etc). Why shouldn't they command 6 figure incomes?

Right now, there are pilots who want to fly professionally still for free, or in the case of JetsGo are willing to post a personal training bond of $30,000. WestJet pilots who got there at the beginning of the company have done extremely well with stock options, but the guys who are hired today won't have the same ability with the stock market.

Where else in business (excluding Coop positions) are people willing to PAY for the right to work or accept less and less wages when they have more experience? Why are Jazz pilot's willing to "bid" for the right to fly the same airplanes for less money?

It seems this is the ONLY profession in the world where your passion for your job puts in you in a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage.