FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question on earning very small amount of points
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:37 pm
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MilesGator
I have 29,973 miles in my acct and want to redeem for a 30k/night room. As most of my stays are not IHG, I won't be accruing any more miles from actual stays. I know I could transfer in 1k from my Chase UR acct, but would rather not "waste" the extra 973 UR pts I would then have left over in my IHG acct after redeeming for a 30k award night.

If I were to walk into a IHG property and buy some food from the little store near the check-in desk AND give the IHG employee my IHG number would the purchase be eligible for earning IHG points?

If I stop in my local Holiday Inn (10 IHG pts/$), I'd only have to buy ~$3 worth of stuff to earn the 27 points I need (and then not have to transfer in 1k Chase UR pts which is at least worth $10).
I think you will be out of luck, also bear in mind transfers in are not immediately there to use.

As far as I know, you only earn points on the "Incidental Spend" if staying at the hotel. Both Paid and Award night "Incidental Spend" accrues points.

Maybe you can cadge a IHG Elite friends 300/400 point code for their recent stays, as seems HI/HIX/CP etc now are meant to give points/drink choice to Golds/Plats.