FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:54 am
schley

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by stargold
Not quite - you can't do a SPG Plat challenge if you've ever been SPG Plat before (whether earned or through a challenge), which means that you can't do the scenario that IncyWincy was talking about, which I believe was repeating challenges every year to always maintain the top-tier status at the reduced challenge criteria.

You can always repeat the SPG Plat challenges until you're successful, but once you achieve Plat, that account will no longer accept Plat challenges. So, in fact it's once per lifetime (or at least once per lifetime of SPG account).
This is not actually correct. If you were at one time platinum 5 or more years ago I believe (without challenge) you could continually challenge until you are successful. If you have been successful via a challenge then you can't repeat. Thus you could do it every year. When you are successful you will have your status for a year or even up to 21 months I believe if done in June of a year and expires Feb 2 years later. I was never insinuating you could be plat one year let it expire 21 months later then the next month do the challenge again.

2 colleagues who were plat 5-6 years ago did the challenge last year and both were successful and gained platinum again. I believe you can't be platinum for the last 5 years and haven't done a successful challenge previously.