FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrades on Qantas as AA EXP?
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:15 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above if you at asking about using QF points,AA miles or an AA SWU, etc
Originally Posted by family friend
I am looking at booking LAX-SYD-LAX and perhaps nested within it an SYD-MEL-SYD itinerary. I have some rather basic questions that I was hoping to get some help with.

1) I am an AA EXP which I believe will not get me any upgrades on Qantas flights, correct?
AA EXP does not get you an upgrade. Either free complementary or by using AA miles/SWU

2) If I buy a flight on Qantas and have the miles credited for AA, am I eligible for upgrades?
Makes no difference as you are very very unlikley to get a free operational upgrade

3) What are the options for upgrading? Miles is the only method?
QF points if eligible
Credit card works: pay the fare difference (100% guaranteed to work if a seat is available)

4) Are all economy classes eligible for mileage upgrades? Are upgrades good from Economy to Premium Economy, Business and/or First?
No. Low cost fares are not eligible to be upgraded with QF points

5) Can someone else use their miles to upgrade me?
Yes. A QFF member can use his/her points to apply for an upgrade for a family member on QF flight number. Not possible with an AA codeshare on QF flight.

The QF upgrade system is a lottery. You submit a request and it may or may not be granted in the few hours before departure. QF will fly with empty seats in first, business & premium economy.

For some QF flights an AA award with AA miles is less than the QF points needed for an upgrade

You should expect to fly in class you buy. Other than airlines from the USA, this is way most airlines operate. Free or miles upgrades are not an entitlement due to status.

Operational upgrades are not common with QF. Anyway you, as AA Exp, will be well down the list of possible upgraders.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 15, 2013 at 7:05 am Reason: spelling