FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with a friend
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:21 am
iflyalexair

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
As others have said, you should do one of the following things:

1. Book both of you in the same reservation. She will get all of the shared benefits. (Bags, sky priority, free EC... Assuming its domestic, and an upgrade chance). If you two remain on the upgrade list in the same reservation, your priority both will that of hers aka, after all medallions and companions of PM/DM.

2. Do the same as above but call in or tweet to have the reservation split. Be sure to have selected EC seats first. Her seats will remain next to you, and you will need to remind the agent to keep the upgrade request for both of you in tact. Be sure to split, if you're going to, at least 4 days before your flights. (Keeps you together in case there is a schedule change, but allows you the chance of an upgrade at the GM window). Your upgrade priority will be GM and she'll be after all medallions and companions of PM/DM.

3. Book separate reservations. Have them linked. Have the agent move the friend to EC with you and process the upgrade request. (No advantage over splitting).

FWIW, I travel all the time with non-statused fiends. I always take the route of number 2. I'd rather have one of us in first as opposed to both in coach. Also, agents can see in the reservation history that you booked together and had the pnr split. More often than not, all additional bag fees were waived for the companion even though at the time of the flight, we were in separate pnrs. That's not always consistent.

Good luck!