FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - how do they make money on A380 flights to Sydney? flights I've been on had very few
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:25 am
DXBFlyer

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
EK has had load factors across the network averaging around 80% for last year so those factors are pretty high.
The guy in charge of yield management is an ex LH guy who jumped ship a few years ago. Thing is if you don't see other flights on the network its hard to gauge. There are flights which are consistently overbooked. BHX for example 2 days ago - 21J/386Y with a config of 42J/386Y.
All they need is a few of those and bob's your uncle it makes up for a light load on a SYD flight.
Sub continent flights are nutritiously always overbooked with a dollop of more overbooking on the side.
Earlier in the month I did an IAD to put me over the Plat threshold and config was 8/42/304 with a load of 6/22/120 so its give an take. The F and J trips are where airlines generally make their money. The bombay special for 1000aed return are few and far between and there is no money to be made on that, but the 8 hours before departure F ticket at like 5-6k aed will certainly be a money maker.

For those whom also say EK does not get cheap fuel - well EK does 'tankering' very well. Flying to KWI on minimum, tankering the aircraft at cheaper prices and then dispatching this aircraft on return on a ULR. Cost saving per trip can be over 10k USD.