FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:46 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by relangford
Why do airlines (not just AA) credit the traveler and not the one who pays, but hotel programs require that the traveler must pay and not a client? Guess it makes sense to the companies involved.
My guess is airlines want the business regardless where the money comes from. The idea being the traveler has more say in which airline they fly. Rewarding that decision maker is the game plan. And given all program decisions are done at the program level, it allows for a much more consistent implementation.

Many hotels are franchises owned by people paying to fly a particular flag. My take is they are more interested in maximizing revenue and not garnering customer loyalty to properties other than their own. It's a bit deceptive having little caveats in the T&Cs that allow them to deny program benefits. Even just the ability to code a stay as eligible for credit is fraught with possible errors.

I have read reports of some properties being so petty as to deny credit if the spouse settles the bill and not the member. Even some have reported using a corporate card got push back as well. Imagine if GAs were allowed to decide if you should earn credit for a flight!